Nov 22, 2007

The Backstreet Boys

Just watched the BSB on Jay Leno's Tonight Show. Terrifying experience. Almost like finding out that Santa doesn't exist. Or worse... that he is a just a fat guy who drinks up all the money he should be spending on presents. (Xmas is near, I can be forgiven the lame analogy).
They're not 5 anymore. Kevin left.
They all changed their boyish looks into grown-up, macho appearances. Check out Nick!
But the gestures! The lyrics! The show! Ewwww... Why?

INconsolABLE! From their new album UNbreakABLE. The 'im-', 'in-', 'un-' prefixes and '-able' suffixes were quite fashionable about 4 years ago among song/album titles. Actually it all started with Toni Braxton's Unbreak My Heart in 1996.
Some humble examples:
Irresistible - Jessica Simpson - 2001
Mariah Carey - 2002
Unbreakable - Michael Jackson's Invincible album - 2001. 5IVE had an album with the same name in 1999.
Scorpions - 2004
Westlife - 2002
Alicia Keys (of all the artists!!) 2005 ... Unplugged. I guess this one doesn't count :)
Unpredictable - Jamie Foxx... (again... of all artists!!)

We get it already-you know how to make compound adjectives... Great. It would be wonderful if it brought a plus to your performances...

The lyrics? Well... your usual stuff: she walks away... he's not able to sleep, clocks ticking memories... Can a clock tick memories?
And the chorus is just a masterpiece:

Baby I don't want to waste another day
Keeping it inside it's killing me
'Cause all I ever want, it comes right down to you (to you)
I'm wishing I could find the words to say
Baby I would tell you every time you leave
I'm inconsolable

And, oh the voices! Madonna took up singing lessons after 20 years of being the queen of pop. That's when I started to like her. That's when she became a full artist in my vision. Her singing got a million times better, although I don't think she has a good voice. She knows how to use it and she has the right attitude towards it. It's one thing to have a chihuahua and to train it to kill, and another to have a pit bull and train it to bring you your slippers.
No progress... I feel cheated. I was 13 when they started singing. Now I am almost 26, double that age... but I am being given the same crap.
Pathetic.
Then again... there will always be the 13 yo audience who hasn't heard and seen them like I did half of my life ago. As long as the NUMBER of fans is the same... it doesn't matter that they are not the same individuals.
I hate Hollywood and Broadway... sometimes :P

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brilliant! Love the new design... it reminds me of...I'm not sure exactly. :p

Dana said...

Thanks... But I don't get it.

Anonymous said...

What could I say? Copykitten?

Time and Date

Followers

Books ...

  • Paul Auster - The New York Trilogy

Movies I Recommend

  • Love Actually...
  • ASHES AND SNOW
  • Fight Club
  • Finding Nemo