Aug 6, 2008

Stars are blind

And it's the stars that lie to you. It's the stars that shine the same on the planet. You think you share the same sky with the rest of billions of people on the planet. And you don't feel all that lonely all of a sudden.

But you could share more than the stars with someone and still feel galaxies away. Is it promiscuity to feel the need to be appreciated? Is it his lack of attention that directs her away?
I have learned something quite interesting these days. After I got married, some people asked me why I got married. I love my husband more than ever. I didn't think marriage would change anything. And it hasn't, generally speaking. Except my name ...
So, why marry in the first place? Inertia? Boredom? Assurance? Acknowledgment?
What I have learned is this: "We need a witness to our lives. There's a billion people on the planet... What does one's life really mean, how much does it matter? In a marriage, you're promising to care about everything. The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things... all of it, all of the time, every day. You're saying 'Your life will not go unnoticed because I will notice it. Your life will not go un-witnessed because I will be your witness'."
How much does that apply to me? And to the other married couples I know? Are we that scared of loneliness? Am I that scared?

And here is a song I recently discovered. No matter how many times I listen to it, I find it hard to grasp the meaning of the lyrics. It's what happens when alternative rock bands write crappy lyrics. The image is strong and the music is great, though.
Stone Sour - Through the Glass.

p.s. Awkwardly enough, I found this song in my parents' computer and no one knew how it got there. For my parents don't listen to alternative rock, obviously, and no one else has access to the PC. Except my cat... ?

p.s.2: I heard that line in a movie, it's true. Unfortunately the movie was so bad that it doesn't even deserve mentioning. I ranked it 4 on IMDB.

No comments:

Time and Date

Followers

Books ...

  • Paul Auster - The New York Trilogy

Movies I Recommend

  • Love Actually...
  • ASHES AND SNOW
  • Fight Club
  • Finding Nemo