Aug 19, 2008

Musical Soap Opera

I had a very musical weekend. I had wished it would be more like a literature weekend: lots of reading if not even more writing than the usual. Instead, I ended up listening to all sorts of songs I hadn't heard in years. On Saturday was Madonna's birthday. I think it all stems from my dad with me: he's a math teacher and all that was passed on to me was a good memory with numbers and dates.

So, with it being Madonna's birthday, it was natural that VH1 aired … Michael Jackson all weekend…

I was ans still think I am the biggest MJ fan ever. I would still be if he were still around… in both ways (as an artist and as a person. And no, I am not sorry he didn't die young like Elvis. At least I know the world got the best of him. At least he gave as much of his genius as he could. And listening to the songs I used to hum when I was 8 was a thrilling experience (if you'll allow my choice of words!).

I used to take pride in my collection of whatever you can think of related to him.

But if there is something I will always be grateful for, it is that I developed a passion for the English language, old black music and literature thanks to his music. It's such a complex experience, such a complex education process that I induced upon myself that it is almost impossible to describe it. I remember how difficult it was for me to find music and the books I wanted. I remember how I saved all the money my parents gave me to buy food at school and I would buy tapes and magazines sometimes only for one photo or an article with his name in it. Then again, who didn't do that when they were fans?

I remember I would strive to understand his lyrics and I would focus so hard that I would end up crying out of spite and anger that I didn't understand anything. That's how it started at least. Little by little, I deciphered the language and everything was less of a mystery.

What I find conveniently wonderful is that it would take someone at least 5 or 6 days to listen to all of his songs once. I get bored easily, so I chose the right artist to be a fan of ;-) Although there is only one song that sticks with me after this weekend: who's loving you? So, who IS loving you, Mr. Jackson?


 

On another note… I watched this very interesting documentary of the best 50 tracks of the 90's. Why I found it so fascinating? Because it not only mentioned 50 of the best songs of my teenage life, but it also showed the artists now and told the story of their lives AFTER the successes they had. So, I feel ashamed to admit I had no idea Mr. Foo Fighter himself was part of Nirvana back when I was 12 and listened to their unplugged album. I had no idea Vanilla Ice 'grew up' to be a notable rock star … Salt and Pepa have their own reality show… and a comeback; Mc Hammer became a reverend… East 17 went bankrupt; Hanson became family guys…

And you think life is dull… I wonder who the script writers are and how many thousands of episodes they can come up with …

As long as the soundtrack plays, I know I'll be enjoying every second of it. And I will know the ticket is worth it.

No comments:

Time and Date

Followers

Books ...

  • Paul Auster - The New York Trilogy

Movies I Recommend

  • Love Actually...
  • ASHES AND SNOW
  • Fight Club
  • Finding Nemo